Born in the south east of Ireland, Simon put his life-long love of football to good use when he started a successful independent blog in 2010. That opened up an alternative route to a career in journalism, and having had work published across a number of sites and publications, Simon joined the staff at Spotlight Sports Group in 2018.
Manchester City’s quest for continental glory resumes this week when the Citizens take on Ligue 1 outfit Lyon at the Estádio José Alvalade in the quarter finals of the Champions League.
After years of disappointment on the European stage, City seem doubly determined to achieve success on foreign soil this season, especially having relinquished both the Premier League and FA Cup title earlier in the campaign.
In Lyon however, the Citizens will meet a formidable underdog, whose confidence was galvanised with an equal parts impressive and unexpected triumph over a fancied Juventus side in the competitions Last 16.
Rudi Garcia’s talented Les Gones showcased their many talents in that against the odds elimination of the Old Lady, and City will have to be at their best to find a route around them to the semi-finals.
Ahead of this exciting clash we’ve dived head first into the stats to put together a cracking looking 18/1 Bet Builder on bet365. Check it out below!
Remember – you can find our analysis and betting tips for this contest in our Manchester City vs Lyon predictions.
What is bet365’s Bet Builder?
Bet Builder allows you create the bet YOU want on any football match. You can choose from a list of the most popular markets and once you have added them to your bet, you can calculate the odds from your customised selection.
For example, you could combine first goalscorer, both teams to score, the total number of corners and the full-time result to create one single bet with the price for your multi-part selection.
You can add up to 6 separate markets to your Bet Builder selection, and your odds will update automatically each time you add a new selection.
Once you are finished and happy with your selections, select the price displayed on the Bet Builder slip and your unique bet will be added to your bet slip.
You can read about bet365’s Bet Builder in more detail here and you can sign up to bet365 and get up to £100 in bet credits using the banner below.
Manchester City vs Lyon Bet Builder tips
Man City to win
- Man City have been in superb form in this season’s Champions League, winning six and drawing two of their eight games so far.
- In contrast, Lyon won just three of their eight games en-route to the quarter finals.
- Man City won eight of their last 10 matches in all competitions, in a run that included victories over Liverpool and real Madrid.
Both teams to score
- Both teams found the net in each of Man City’s last six Champions League matches.
- Lyon got on the scoresheet in seven of their eight UCL fixtures this term.
- Man City kept just two clean sheets in their last 10 UCL games away from the Etihad in a sequence stretching back to early 2018.
Raheem Sterling to score anytime
- Raheem Sterling is City’s joint leading scorer in the Champions League this season with six goals.
- Sterling notched an impressive 11 goals in his last 12 appearances overall for City.
- 19 of Sterling’s 30 goals in all competitions this season for City were bagged away from the Etihad Stadium.
Marcal to be booked
- Lyon defender Marcal was booked in both legs of Lyon’s Last 16 tie with Juventus.
- The Brazilian collected four cards in total in his last three appearances.
- Marcal has been carded nine times overall for Lyon in 2019/20.
Over 10 total corners
- 10 or more corners were awarded to both teams combined in five of Man City’s eight Champions League matches this season.
- The Citizens won more corners than any other club in the Premier League last season.
- An average of 10.0 corners per game were awarded to both teams combined in Lyon’s Champions League matches this season.
More FST News
- 7 hours ago
- 9 hours ago
- Special Offers