Napoli vs AC Milan Predictions, Betting Tips and Match Previews
Napoli vs AC Milan predictions ahead of this Serie A clash on Saturday. Who will win the second game in Italy’s massive Super Saturday double header? Read on for our match preview and free betting tips.
Reason For Napoli vs AC Milan Betting Tips
Napoli’s fixture list isn’t getting any easier, but they’re still aiming to build on an opening day win over Lazio. Their latest victory has inspired talk of another title challenge, with Carlo Ancelotti’s arrival exciting the home fans. However, the Italian boss meets AC Milan in a competitive clash for the first time since he left the club back in 2009. Will the Rossoneri get one over their former boss, or will Ancelotti inspire even more excitement among the San Paolo faithful by making it two wins from two?
The hosts may have won on Saturday, but they needed a massive wake-up call first. They went 1-0 down to Lazio with one of the worst pieces of defending you’ll see all season, as Ciro Immobile beat the three sleepwalking Napoli defenders who were tracking him. However, the Partenopei fired back, and that led to post-match questions about another title push. While that’s a little premature, they have followed up a record breaking season with an impressive victory.
However, Napoli have to be wary of their start. Following their win in Lazio, they meet AC Milan this weekend, with meetings against Sampdoria, Fiorentina, Torino and Juventus to come before October. It’s a really difficult start, but if they maintain this form, then they’ll be seen as title challengers. They’ve certainly maintained their attacking edge, after hitting over two goals per game last season, and we’re still seeing a lot of creative and attacking talent in the Partenopei set up, which Ancelotti is working well with early on.
Meanwhile, the visitors are set to kick off their campaign here, after their clash with Genoa last weekend was called off. Milan have got plenty of optimism for this season, with some shrewd signings adding to a side who were strong in the final stages of last term. They’ve got more goals in their team with Gonzalo Higuain on board, who has five goals in six meetings with the Partenopei. He always wants to make a mark against former sides, and has a long running feud with Napoli President Aurelio De Laurentiis. With that in mind, we see the forward getting a goal at his former home.
Milan won’t be short on goals with him in tow, after they finished the season seeing both teams score in five of their last six games. They found the net away to every top nine side last season, scoring in 89% of their trips. We see the Rossoneri building on that, with both teams finding the net in eight of their last nine trips to the San Paolo. The hosts conceded 18 times in 19 home games last season, but they let in eight in six fixtures against the top seven. With that in mind, we see value in BTTS, while we’re backing Napoli to claim another 2-1 victory.
Head to Head
Napoli have won three of their last four meetings with AC Milan. April's 0-0 draw at the San Siro was seen as a major blow to the Partenopei's title hopes.
Napoli Team News
Orestis Karnezis is set to start ahead of David Ospina, Faouzi Ghoulam remains out for Napoli, who are set to remain unchanged.
AC Milan Team News
Hakan Calhanoglu is banned for Milan after their last game was postponed. As a result, Tiemoué Bakayoko could join Franck Kessie and Lucas Biglia in a stern midfield trio.
More Italy Serie A Fixtures
Napoli vs AC Milan Stats
- Napoli have scored twice in their last four home matches.
- Milan conceded 73% of their away goals in the second half last term.
- Over 2.5 goals landed in 68% of the Partenopei’s home games.
- Napoli are unbeaten against AC Milan in their last seven Serie A meetings (W5 D2).
- The last AC Milan win against Napoli at San Paolo stadium came back in October 2010; since then, Napoli have won five times (D2).
- Since the start of 2018, no other side has won more home Serie A games than Napoli (eight, level with Juventus)
- Since the 2011-12 season, AC Milan are yet to draw their first league game of the season – from then on, the Rossoneri have both won and lost three games.
- Napoli and AC Milan have attempted more shots on target on average per match (six) in Serie A since the start of 2018 than any other sides.
- Napoli boss Carlo Ancelotti oversaw 420 games as AC Milan’s manager in all competitions. He will face the Rossoneri for the 10th time in Serie A (W4 D3 L2).
- In both of the last two Serie A campaigns, AC Milan’s Gonzalo Higuaín has found the net with his first shot on target.
- Milan striker Gonzalo Higuaín made 104 appearances in three different seasons for Napoli in Serie A and he scored 46 in 53 league games at San Paolo stadium.
Published: August 25, 2018
Our match preview predictions are fully researched and provided in good faith but no profits are guaranteed. Please gamble responsibly, you should only ever gamble with money you can afford to lose. Visit our responsible gambling guidelines for more information. 18+