Usually, the Community Shield marks the end of a long, tedious and sportless summer. It promises new beginnings and gets fans looking ahead to the exciting return of Premier League action.
This year is a little different. It feels like the 2019/20 campaign ended yesterday, and we’ll be starting the 2020/21 season behind closed doors after the most surreal of years.
All that aside, the Community Shield still puts the first piece of silverware of the season on the line and marks the beginning of the countdown for the return of the Premier League.
Arsenal, who won a record 14th FA Cup against Chelsea earlier this month, face off against an all-conquering Liverpool side that finally ended their long long wait for a Premier League trophy.
With that in mind, we’ve put together all you need to know for tomorrow’s action:
What TV channel is the Community Shield on?
BT Sport have the rights for the 2020 Community Shield and it will be available to watch on BT Sport 1, BT Sport Extra 1, BT Sport Ultimate and on the BT Sport app.
Coverage begins at 16:00 BST in preparation for the scheduled 16:30 kickoff.
Community Shield predictions, betting tips and odds
Community Shield odds
*All odds taken from bet365 and correct as of 5pm on Friday, August 28th.
Arsenal to Lift the Trophy – 6/5
Liverpool to Lift the Trophy – 4/11
Over 2.5 Goals – 4/7
Both Teams to Score – 4/7
Community Shield predictions
We’re expecting the goals to flow on Saturday. While the Community Shield isn’t an historically high scoring match, the fireworks tend to fly whenever Arsenal and Liverpool share a pitch.
The last ten meetings between these two clubs have produced an incredible 52 goals, including the ten goal thriller in the Carabao Cup last season.
At least four goals have been scored in eight of these matches and with the likes of Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mane all likely to play it’s hard to see this being anything other than an entertaining spectacle for the neutrals.
FST’s Best Bet: Over 3.5 Goals at 11/8
You can find the rest of our betting tips and analysis on our Arsenal vs Liverpool predictions page.
Community Shield stats
- Arsenal and Liverpool are the joint second most successful clubs in the Community Shield with 15 wins apiece, behind only Manchester United (21).
- Manchester United’s 8-4 victory over Swindon Town in 1911 is the highest scoring Community Shield match.
- Liverpool’s last victory in the Community Shield was in 2006, while their last silver medal was in 2019.
- Arsenal have won the trophy three times since then and haven’t lost a Community Shield match since 2005.
- The 2012 iteration, featuring Chelsea and Manchester City, was the dirtiest match in Community Shield history with eight yellow cards and one red card.
More FST News: