It may be on the other side of a hectic festive schedule, but the FA Cup Third Round isn’t far off. One of the biggest dates in the English football calendar, we are already looking forward to the competition’s return in 2021.
On top of being a shiny piece of silverware for England’s big-name bosses, the FA Cup is arguably more important this year. With only two Europa League places available to English sides, winning it could be hugely important.
Ahead of the 2020/21 FA Cup Third Round, we’ve picked out the best ties and the most likely outright winners.
For our latest predictions, take a look at our football accumulator tips which are updated daily.
FA Cup Third Round Draw
- Huddersfield Town vs Plymouth Argyle
- Southampton vs Shrewsbury Town
- Chorley vs Derby County
- Marine vs Tottenham Hotspur
- Wolverhampton Wanderers vs Crystal Palace
- Stockport County vs West Ham United
- Oldham Athletic vs AFC Bournemouth
- Manchester United vs Watford
- Stevenage vs Swansea City
- Everton vs Rotherham United
- Nottingham Forest vs Cardiff City
- Arsenal vs Newcastle United
- Barnsley vs Tranmere Rovers
- Bristol Rovers vs Sheffield United
- Boreham Wood vs Millwall
- Blackburn Rovers vs Doncaster Rovers
- Stoke City vs Leicester City
- Wycombe Wanderers vs Preston North End
- Crawley Town vs Leeds United
- Burnley vs Milton Keynes Dons
- Bristol City vs Portsmouth
- Queens Park Rangers vs Fulham
- Aston Villa vs Liverpool
- Brentford vs Middlesbrough
- Manchester City vs Birmingham City
- Luton Town vs Reading
- Chelsea vs Morecambe
- Exeter City vs Sheffield Wednesday
- Norwich City vs Coventry City
- Blackpool vs West Bromwich Albion
- Newport County vs Brighton & Hove Albion
- Cheltenham Town vs Mansfield Town
Best Third Round Ties
Marine vs Tottenham Hotspur
The second side to reach the Third Round from the eighth tier meets Jose Mourinho’s table-topping Tottenham. It’s a huge occasion, especially with 1600 fans expected to be in attendance for Marine’s biggest 90 minutes.
Aston Villa vs Liverpool
Usually, all-Premier League ties early in the FA Cup should be ignored, but this is a repeat of one of the most incredible top-flight games of all time. Villa’s crushing 7-2 win over Liverpool earlier this year gives this tie a real edge ahead of the rematch.
Stockport County vs West Ham United
Stockport County have fallen on tough times in recent years, but the club are back in the National League and looking upwards. Hosting West Ham is a big draw for the side, especially if they can get fans through the door.
Chorley vs Derby County
Chorley’s incredible run to the Third Round may have been overshadowed by Marine, but the National League North side have a plum draw. They’ll be facing Wayne Rooney’s Derby County at home next month. If the bookies have it right, they could well be John Terry’s Derby County by that point.
FA Cup winner betting odds
- Manchester City – 10/3
- Liverpool – 6/1
- Chelsea – 8/1
- Manchester United – 8/1
- Tottenham – 8/1
- Arsenal – 10/1
*Odds correct as of 4pm Wednesday 2 December on bet365.com
FA Cup outright winner prediction
Tottenham won the FA Cup in 1901, 1921, 1961, 1981 and 1991. Throughout their history Spurs have landed their biggest moments in years ending in 1, like their 1951 title win and their 2011 Champions League run.
Jose Mourinho’s Tottenham are capable of adding to that this term. While the Premier League may be a bridge too far according to their manager, they’ve got a squad capable of adding to their eight victories in this competition.
Mourinho is a manager capable of edging tricky ties, while he’s filled out their squad. Spurs were able to come through an EFL Cup clash with Chelsea and a Europa League qualifier just two days later back in September.
Spurs are the best placed of those sides sitting around 8/1, so they’re our pick to win it in May.
Dark horses – Wolves
Freed from the extra workload of a Europa League campaign, Wolves are certainly a danger in this competition. While they’re considered to have a similar chance as Leicester and Everton, Wolves aren’t prone to the defensive issues of those two.
Nuno Espirito Santo took Wolves to the semis in 2019, while they had a good Europa League run last season. Wolves can cause the problems against the very best and should be able to take this competition seriously from the start, so we think they’re great value at 25/1.
More FST News: